What he said

Friday, 2 May 2008

If I was as theologically eloquent as this dude, Dr C Baxter-Kruger, then I would have been able to articulate what it is about Calvinism that rankles and makes me want to do some vomit. But here, read this, instead.

(I'm sorry, Andi, if you are reading this and are still of the Calvinist persuasion. I'm not meaning to diss what it is that you are believing, but this guy describes so well why I have a big problem with it, that I couldn't resist :)

I am feeling the interconnectedness of vast disparities today. Feeling, even though I can't begin to explain in an intellectual way, the weaving of Christ through everything so that even when we are on the wrong track, He can still be there with a Wrong Way Go Back sign, in disguise. That somehow, he is there even in the nothingness, in the spaces between everything.

Even the spaces in my heart which are still dead, but are also alive. The parts of me that are hopeless but still hopeful. The parts that rest but still strive. The parts that yearn for pain relief and the parts that stand strong whatever comes. The parts that want to die and the parts that want to fly (same thing, really). It all makes no sense at all. Meaningless, meaningless! I was saying to myself when I left my lecture this morning. What is the point of all that we do? But then, also, everything matters. Sometimes the paradox makes me laugh and sometimes it makes me want to stab pins in my eyes. But whatever mood I am in (and we are legion), I am re-resting in the assurance today that I can stay right here, with 500 million unanswered questions, in the assurance of the Father's love. (But gee, golly and damn, that doesn't mean I am gonna give up anytime soon trying to understand EVERYTHING :)

5 comments

  1. Wow! What a man... This is a terrific link, Sue, many thanks!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a really long post you pointed to, so I didn't read it all, but I get the gist. Calvinism is not my cup of tea.

    You said "That somehow, he is there even in the nothingness, in the spaces between everything."

    Not to be all wonky and geeky on you, but sounds a little like the God particle. In a nutshell, in particle physics, it's the hypothetical (but working to be proven) particle by which every other particle in existence gains matter. In other words, it's the particle that creates other particles and is necessary for any particle to have matter, therefore to exist. It creates. This is all theoretical, of course.
    But my far younger faaar geekier brother believes science and religion will actually meet in the middle because of this thing. Weirds me out.

    Ok, I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike - No worries.

    Erin - no it doesn't sound wonky and geeky at all. It sounds absolutely totally credible and I wouldn't be surprised at all if one day your geeky bro has a smile from ear to ear when science and religion smash into each other and blow each other apart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin,
    Very cool.

    Sue,
    That's a great, articulate article. I was taught some of that when I was growing up in the Free Methodist denomination and was often in fear that God would kick me out if I did anything wrong, which of course I did all the time!

    I thought the author of the article was fair in saying that Calvin had wonderful things to say and that the Calvinism that has been passed down is probably very different from what John Calvin actually meant, or at least in some ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer - ewww, yuk. HOw creepy it is to look back at all of that fear and condemnation. Gross.

    Yeah, I really liked that about the article too, the way he differentiated between Calvin and Calvinism. I have a renewed interest to read The Institutes actually now.

    ReplyDelete

Newer Older