On that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.

Saturday, 8 August 2009

After learning the practice of contemplative prayer and non-dualistic teaching, we are not surprised when Jesus comes along with such things as the” Eight Beatitudes” (Matthew 5). We cannot understand the Beatitudes with a dualistic mind. They just don’t make any practical sense whatsoever! “Come on, Jesus, no one believes that! Blessed are the poor in spirit, the meek, the poor, or the humble of heart.” Our culture believes almost the exact opposite. We hear these eight beatitudes and we say, “Thanks be to God” publicly, but no one believes these beatitudes for one second in any practical way. Be honest. Most people, even good people, do not have the inner capacity to know what Jesus was actually talking about, or to live it themselves

“The Eight Beatitudes” are from the highest level of consciousness, which is entirely “unitive” and non-dualistic thinking. The contemplative mind allows us to surrender to what reality IS at the deepest level; it allows life to be something bigger and broader than the non-dual mind can ever see. From this higher level, the Beatitudes, and all the teachings of Jesus and other mystics make sense. The ordinary person can now know God, while the heady Christian knows nothing but his own head.
Richard Rohr


What does this unity mean to you? How do you think it would pan out in your life? For me it would be a lessening of fear of other people, a greater willingness to put myself aside in service of the other, not out of duty but out of recognition of the true oneness of us all, that, like the cliches say, if someone else hurts then I hurt. It's a beautiful thing. It's what I hope breaks over me, like icy water.

2 comments

  1. I nearly posted this myself, Sue!

    It's a marvellous passage, once you get past the "higher level" language (which always sounds a bit gnostic to me) to the point where Rohr says, "The ordinary person can now know God."

    ReplyDelete

Newer Older