I love sculpture

Monday 25 March 2013


Lou Lou by Joanna Rhodes

Joiz Looize, but I do love me some sculpture.


I love how it is a perfect bringing together for me of heart and mind.  Of someone else's heart and mind, that I get to see out in 3D.


I often have a list of Things To Do When I Have More Energy and lately is no exception.  Included in those are the most important:

  • play in sculpture land (whatever that may mean.  This land is vast and I have only entered its clayroom)
  • clean the bathroom
  • walk
  • have more sex
Bell by Michael Sibel, is "a visual representation of the
lyrical arrangement of music and sound."


I went last week to the Montalto Vineyard & Olive Grove in Red Hill South, which is about an hour's drive from the centre of Melbourne.  In rolling hills of grapevines and olives, interspersed with veggie gardens, fruit and nut orchards (as if that wasn't fertile enough) are a group of sculptures.  Dotted here and there, round corners, in the middle of open fields.  Shame I was feeling horrid at the time, but the memory and the photos make up for it now.

I also wrote about Montalto's 2013 Sculpture Prize and the allure of sculpture on Weekend Notes.  You can see some more photos of sculptures there as well.

Abstractor by Jessie Cacchillo and Craig Waddell, who say this about it:  "For many Australians the 'bush' is actually the man-made landscape of a farm, not the harsh landscape of Uluru.  Discarded machinery in a field can emote as vivid  a personal response as the sighting of Spinifex in a desert.

In Abstractor, the surface of the tractor mimics the look of thick layers of paint which accumulates on an artist's floor as a by-product of the painting process.

Visually, this studio accretion often creates a landscape in its own right.  By covering the abandoned vehicle in what appears to be discarded paint, the combination of the two 'waste materials' creates another transformation.

Under a mass of organic melting colour, the familiar tractor becomes strange, allowing the viewer to 'see it' afresh."


Bryozoa I, II and III by Brigit Heller.  Man-made and natural ...
fragile-looking pieces fashioned from rusted steel wire.


No comments

Post a Comment

Newer Older